Sunday 3 June 2012

Vacuum Cleaners, Colours and Socks

Right now at this moment I'm very grateful for vacuum cleaners. I just spent 90 minutes in the basement of someone else's house vacuuming cobwebs from the walls and ceiling. I had to hold the nozzle part over my head for over an hour, poking around pipes and cables and various other obstacles...it was rather grueling and tiring and not the most enjoyable task in the world. But we were helping 90-year-old friends, and so I was grateful on several fronts - for the energy to be able to help at all, for the time and availability that retirement allows us to be able to help, and for my super-dooper vacuum cleaner which just sucked those million+ cobwebs with not much effort on my part. Dear Lord, I wonder if sometimes You would love to take a vacuum cleaner and suck all the cobwebs and dust right out of the nooks and crannies of me...I know I sometimes wish You would do that and just be done with it. But I'm glad that You do what You know is best, which often seems to be the slow patient waiting way...because I guess there are lessons I need to learn from the journey itself that couldn't be learned through the vacuum cleaner approach. It makes me sigh with relief that You're okay with the slow journeying, because slow is my best pace most days. But I'm ever so glad to have had that vacuum cleaner to do the job quick and easy this morning!

I'm also grateful today for colours. After spending quite a bit of time in that dark and dusty basement over the past few days, it's such a joy to come out the front door and be surrounded by such brilliant colours - blue sky, green grass, red roses, pink columbines, orange dahlias, yellow begonias and purple clematis. I love Spring. I especially love all of those rich colours springing up from the brown earth. Thank You Lord for colours. Thank You for providing us with a wee patch of land to grow all those amazing colours into being. De Colores!

I'm also grateful today for socks. Some people don't have socks. It had never occurred to me before we started traveling that some people don't have socks. When the floor upstairs gets cold, or even when my feet are in pain, socks always make me feel better. Now when we travel to those sockless parts of the world, we bring extras to leave behind...they're always a much-welcome relief for those cold feet too! Thank You Lord for socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment